Sunday, June 5, 2011

Just Like Old Times

Another multi-layered title. How do I do it?! Today I walked about 24 miles, which is twice my normal amount for this trip but about the average for last time. I did it in hopes of catching up with my German and Italian and Irish friends so that I could say good-bye one last time because from here on I plan on slowing my pace to hit all the most popular stops to see which could use a place of peace the most. So far I´ve only seen my Australian friend, which was cool, so it is kind of like old times.
And speaking of old times, there is also a medieval festival here, so the whole town of Hospital de Orbigo is decorated with flags and a lot of people are walking around in medieval clothing. Awesome. I took a nap when I got here because i was so exhausted, but once I finish with this and with figuring out dinner, I am going to plunge into the midst of my fellow nerds, especially at 6:30, when there is supposed to be jousting! Hopefully I will run into some of my other friends so we can plan for some kind of homemade supper, but if not there might be some pretty good food to be had at the festival, or at least a giant turkey leg I can gnaw.
Last night was pretty rough, because I had to sleep right next to someone for the first time ever and it took me until 4:00 this morning to figure out the whole head-to-foot position to calm my slightly homophobic mind. The snorers were pretty terrible as well, not to mention the early risers and the night owls took little care to be quiet. That thought brings me to something I´ve been thinking about for the past few days.
Pilgrims are some of the least lovable people on the planet. Many of them snore, smell, have little regard for others´comfort and sleep, do not speak the local language of the Camino, are more than comfortable to walk around in their tighty whiteys and perhaps less if they are in the bathroom, want to show everyone something special on their foot, get up at an unGodly hour, J-walk, and have an assortment of body functions they are not shy about performing in almost-public. Yet Jesus loves them dearly and wants to see each of them rest their burdens at the foot of the cross. And most of the desperately need the Gospel.
That´s about all the time I have for now, so God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment