Friday, June 24, 2011

Fast

I´ve still got it, folks. And by "it" I of course mean my gift for clever (and puntacular) titles. Let me begin by remarking on how quickly it feels like my time in Santiago is passing. I suppose that´s partly due to a rather monotonous schedule (get up, go to mass, update the blog, eat falafel, walk around and run into familiar faces, get some icecream or a treat from the bakery, debate whether to take a nap, get dinner and/or go to mass, read in my room until I fall asleep), but it´s still surprising that tomorrow evening I´ll be taking a bus to Madrid. The other part of the title is, of course, a Catholic pun that I´ll leave you all to figure out for yourselves*.
So after yesterday´s update I walked down to the train station to look at times and prices and discovered that my decision was rather easy. The only train to Madrid on a Saturday is at 11:00 or so and takes 8 hours with all the stops, so a bus wouldn´t really be that much different and would probably be easier because I´ve already used the Spanish bus system.
With that important decision out of the way, I headed back to the old quarter and wandered around a little more. Eventually it was time to think about dinner, so I got a bell pepper, cheese, apple, banana, and bread to bring back old times and ate it in the Cathedral plaza. I waited for mass in the church and got to meet the cute Korean couple I saw a lot the first couple of weeks and congratulate them. After mass I returned to my room, did some laundry, and then waited to fall asleep.
I slept very poorly due to the catch-22 of sleeping in a room close to the municipal square. If I have my window closed, my tiny room gets hot very fast, but if I have it open the sound of protesters is a lot louder and for some reason they only make noise between 11:00 and 5:00 or so rather than at a time when someone would be in the government building or when anyone would pay attention. I´m sure they know what they´re doing, though, since it´s been about a month and a half that they´ve been doing it.
There must be some kind of spiritual warfare happening as well (perhaps due to my speaking out against change without God yesterday) because not only did I sleep poorly but the priests this morning were somewhat drowned out by the construction going on outside the Cathedral. Sheesh. Please pray for all of us in Santiago.
That´s really all I have for today. This afternoon I´ll probably walk over to a part of the old quarter I realized I haven´t seen yet and then I might take a nap to make up for last night. Until next time, God bless!

*Okay, if you really need a hint, here you go: think about what day of the week it is today.

No comments:

Post a Comment