Thursday, June 2, 2011

A Few Other Things

I´ve found that I usually forget to add important events or details to my entries whenever I don´t take my journal with me to the computer. So it is with the last one. Just to update everyone on the underwear situation, though, since it´s sunny, dry, and windy here I decided to go ahead and wash and dry my single pair, so I´m now wearing clean underwear! Yay!
Anyway, when I was about to take my break for the day I was passing through a town called Calzada de Coto (I think; this time I need my guidebook with me!) I was accosted by a guy sitting on a bench with his shoes off who scolded me for just passing by with only a wave. So I joined him at the table and introduced myself and got out my orange and half a baguette as my snack. He pulled out some sausage, cheese, and a 1.5 liter bottle filled with a water/wine mixture and shared all of it with me. It turns out he´s Romanian, flew to Madrid at the beginning of last month, drank himself out of a few days, started walking to Sahagún without shoes, had an anarchist host him for a bed and booze and joints, and is now finally on the Camino Francés. I never could tell if he noticed my cross and was trying to provoke some kind of shock or if he was just really open with me, but his liberal use of profanity (not all that uncommon with Europeans), reference to a daughter he has in Berlin, and what I think may have been a pass at me certainly helped make him the most colorful character I´ve met in either of my pilgrimages. I provided him with a good audience and offered him a bit of chocolate, which he declined, and left him with a "God bless you" before I finished my walk for today with another 5 miles. I´d like to run into him again. Anyway, it´s about dinner time and I think I´m going to go with the Swedish woman and anyone else who´s hungry. God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment