Sunday, June 12, 2011

Just Like Old Times 2

As you can see, I´m losing my pencheant for clever titles. Before I press on into this entry, I think an apology is in order. I´ve been rather frank throughout this trip in discussing some rather personal matters such as undergarments and bathroom business that I might usually refrain from mentioning. However, in case you have not had the opportunity to meet one of these amazing people, pilgrims are not "usual" people. And to be honest the matters I´ve written about are a rather important element of my daily life (things are simple here), but I will try to rein it in and I´m sorry if I´ve embarrassed any of you readers with the "potty stories."
Now on to the events of the day. I found a chess set in yesterday´s albergue and set up a game to challenge and get to know any takers. An opponent came soon enough in the form of a young German guy who´s been walking with a young Dutch guy and a young (and extremely petite) Polish girl. We both made a lot of stupid mistakes, but I ended up winning. I was more excited to meet him, though. Unfortunately our conversation mainly consisted of him telling me we actually crossed paths in Burgos and he told me he hated me (yikes) because of the tapping of my walking poles. He seemed convinced that no one who is not very old should use them, because my reply that they make it easier and help with the hills was me with "Well then why don´t you send your pack ahead as well if you want it to be easier?" Not much use arguing against that. About that time I remembered passing him in Burgos, and I have to say I don´t think he was exaggerating based on the expression I remember him showing me at the time. He also asked me about my Tau cross, thinking I had bought it on the way and I think he may have intended to tease me about buying it "for protection" like some other pilgrims. A bit of an abrasive guy, but unfortunately I think he went past Sarria so I may not get to see him again.
My German friend and I made dinner together and I got a bit of a German lesson from her and the Dutch guy. I was hoping it would be easy and similar to English compared to Spanish, but that turned out to be woefully wrong. Still, I at least know the personal pronouns, so I´ve got a start.
Went to a lively and wonderful mass presided over by a priest who I think should be a model for all priests. He was enthusiastic, funny, and down-to-earth in explaining as well as performing the mass. As he said (and I think a lot of the priests I´ve seen need to learn this), it´s not a funeral, so at the peace we all hugged instead of just shaking hands. He and Jesús in Villafranca are two of my main inspirations for starting a ministry on the Camino, actually.
The walk to Sarria was rough, though I had a great night´s sleep. I know after about 400 miles it sounds like an understatement to say it, but I´m tired. After a pitstop at a bar about halfway, though, I read the daily office and the Pentecost prayer and sang the rest of the way and felt much better. The way is still beginning to take its toll. I think I may just take a bus to Finisterre this time for two reasons: a) as I said before, I´m tired and b) "La Mama" as we call her (the mother in the pair of Italians) will be celebrating her birthday there on the 19th, which is too soon for me to walk without straining myself overmuch, and I would like to have one last meal with them and my German friend. The Camino Finisterre can wait, but I may not have another chance to see them until Paradise.
On entry into Sarria I ran across an English man I´ve heard about but never spoken to until now. He´s very friendly and told me he´s walking because both of his parents died 8 months ago and he wanted to find some answers. He seems very open to God, so I hope I may be a blessing to him and perhaps share the Gospel with him. It´s also interesting that I met him here, because last time I was in Sarria I met another man (who even looks a bit similar) who told me he came to look but had not yet found. Unlike him, however, my English friend does not seem to have given up all hope just yet. Please pray that I can at least plant some seeds with him.
Today is not only Pentecost, but the start of Soul in the City, a local missions week at my church at home. I´m praying for everyone involvd in it (have been for a while) and look forwards to hearing how God moves this summer. Not much else to say now, so God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment