Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Home


Well, all of my Camino clothes are in the washer and I'm in fresh clothes from home typing on a computer that doesn't cost a Euro for every half hour. Let me bring you up to speed on the last couple of days and then I'll close with a few thoughts.
After my last entry I went to a place with falafel and then returned to the pension to wash my sandals one last time and try to reduce the stink for the sake of my fellow passengers the next day. Once I was pretty much finished packing I laid on the bed for a while channel surfing and then decided to go to sleep early. I slept well and took a shower and put deodorant on both my armpits and my feet (again, for the sake of the other passengers) and took the metro to the airport.
I checked my bag quite easily and got through security disturbingly fast and then set about spending the last of my Euros (about 7 by this time) on food. While I was on my way to the gate I got lucky enough to nab one of the random security checks which meant a second scan of my bag and shoes and also a very close pat-down. They were really polite, though, and the guy checking my passport joked with me about my beard versus the clean-shaven 16-year-old in my passport picture.
The plane ride was long but as comfortable as it could be. They fed us and watered us regularly and the movies were on-demand rather than on rotation so I didn't have to worry about timing anything. Once I got off the plane I joined two others who had connected from Barcelona in waiting for my bag and then being informed that our luggage was still in Madrid. D'oh! After I filled out the proper forms to get my bag sent to Orange Park my brother-in-law picked me up and we headed home for a good home-cooked dinner with my sister and nephew and then a birthday cake and good conversation.
The next morning I played with my nephew and his assortment of cars and animals before going on a long walk (or run for him because he sprints just about everywhere) and appreciating the finer things of nature like throwing rocks in the creek and pretending to be a frog. We had a special lunch at Chik-Fil-A and then they sent me on my way to Jacksonville. Fortunately I didn't have a bag to check so getting in was quite quick and smooth. I kept myself awake through sheer force of will for the entire flight and then had a joyful reunion with the parents and girlfriend.
We went home for a dinner of hamburgers (which I had vowed not to eat in Spain, which made me miss beef) and typical home food, followed by a wonderful cake with my pastor and his wife. I got a call at about 7:30 telling me they had my bag and were going to deliver my bag that night (big kudos to Aer Lingus!) so I was able to wash all my clothes today.
While I have returned home, God's work in Spain is far from finished. It is clear to me from all the players in motion that I met in Madrid that the Holy Spirit is hard at work in Spain and the Camino is a particularly important place because it can serve as a launching point for all of Europe and eventually the whole world. Pretty much every country in the European Union had a representative on the Way and every continent had a representative.
As my friend from New Jersey said, when you know people for such a short amount of time you can only plant seeds and pray. That was true in the six week period I had with my Camino family and it will certainly be true when I return to Spain and only have one day and night with those pilgrims who come to me. But I know without a doubt that if I and those with me dedicate the cafe, albergue, and our lives to God's glory and displaying his Kingdom that he will be faithful and bring fruit from those seeds from Spain to Europe to the ends of the earth. Praise the Lord!
While this is a bit of a wrap-up post, this blog is not quite finished. I have a few pictures to share and hope to show you all more as I request and receive them from my friends (at least those whose contact info I have). For now, though, God bless!


No comments:

Post a Comment