Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Animals

I thought I´d add a bit of levity by writing another entry to tell a story about something a bit funny that happened today. Let me preface this story by saying there are far more dogs and cats out on the street here than there are in the States (and, I suspect, in most Asian countries) and some of them seem to have learned what pilgrims and tourists are good for: food.
So I´m taking a break in Acebo, I go outside to eat my own food after a cafe con leche in the bar (which has an albergue as well where I stayed last time), and this cat comes up to me and just sits there staring at me eat my bread. I knew what she wanted, so I ripped off a bit of bread and tossed it in front of her. She sniffs it and continues staring. I balled up a piece without crust, thinking perhaps the piece had been too big. Sniff, then stare. I started on my orange and gave her the navel part. Same treatment. The seed fell on the path with that one, so to speak. Every crumb of bread that fell between my feet as I tore pieces off seemed to her to have potential, but (fortunately, so I didn´t have to scare her off) she didn´t try to get them. Finally, she seemed to realize that this pilgrim was one that doesn´t carry milk, meat, or cheese with him while he walks and wandered off. I was rather relieved she didn´t get too close, because the last cat I saw that close was definitely diseased and wild and this one didn´t have a collar either. After she left several birds who had anxiously been keeping their distance came, eyed me, and enjoyed the bread I´d tossed and dropped. I´m glad someone could appreciate it!
That´s all. A bit of fun before I go to bed. God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment