Saturday, May 21, 2011

Viana

Yesterday I got to have dinner with a Catholic priest from LA, a guy from Australia, and a very good English- speaker from Sweden. They were all very interested and excited about the vision God has given me. Later that night I used my kit to treat my Korean friend´s blisters and then used the BCP to lay on hands for healing prayer (I would have gone extemporaneous, but I was nervous). I left this morning while she was in the bathroom, so I didn´t get to say goodbye, but I know she was at least encouraged.
Something she said during our conversation yesterday afternoon made me realize something I need to start doing as I walk, which is to pray for the Camino itself and safety for all who walk. Apparently a young German woman was raped by a truck driver on the Meseta (further confirming my opinion that it is the worst portion of the pilgrimage), which is the first time anything like that has happened apparently. The more I think about it, I expect God will call me to that area, because it is by far the most depressing portion, and probably the most in need of a peaceful, Holy Spirit presence. Will keep my eyes open especially during that portion, for potential spots and for any women walking by themselves that may need someone to walk with them.
I only walked about 9.5 miles today, a short jump to Viana, through wine country. Very pretty scenery all around, though there were lots of steep ups and downs. Visited the cathedral there, which is absolutely gorgeous and very solemn. Will probably go there after I finish this. Met my Irish friend eating a snack outside, so I talked with her for a while and later saw her sitting and looking contemplative in the church. Hope that´s the Holy Spirit going to work!
The albergue where I stopped is nice, though it has bunk beds stacked in 3s, which is interesting. I got a middle one, but I feel a bit sorry for the girl above me. There was some kind of concert outside playing nice classical music, which added to the peaceful atmosphere, but later they played "My Heart Will Go On," to the great amusement of the girl doing laundry next to me (can´t tell from her accent if she is German or French, but I think it is the former).
Will try to go to mass tonight, so I can hopefully join them for Communion before anyone realises I´m not Catholic. God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment