Friday, May 27, 2011

A Busy Afternoon

Just thought I´d take ten minutes (and 50 centivos) to update you all on how the Lord is working with my fellow pilgrims. As an English major, let me just say it´s tempting to compare this group to the one from Canterbury Tales because of its diversity. And I seem to be the chaplain of the group.
Yesterday I wandered around the city and found that my Irish, French, female Californian, and female Quebecan friends were all staying in the private hostel down the street. So I sat with them for the afternoon. Later, when it was just my Quebecan friend and me, the older Californian man joined us, and shortly thereafter the female pastor from Nebraska. To my excitement, the conversation turned to God, though the subject of female ordination came up and to my chagrin I had to try to explain the Anglican church´s stance to the indignant pastor as well as I could in front of the Californian who had already told us he used to be Catholic and has fallen away from the faith. Of all the things to make me talk about in front of someone who needs Jesus!
The conversation had fruit, however, though I stayed silent for most of it. The Californian and Nebraskan both urged my Quebecan friend to decouple the individual Christians from the corrupt institution of the church that she cannot stand. She informed us this was impossible for her, but she did allow me to pray for her feet afterward and I hope I disarmed her by apologizing for the Universal Church. She thinks I´m sweet, which we may pray will be a start of falling in love with our Lord and Savior!

No comments:

Post a Comment