Thursday, May 19, 2011

Smelling the High Heaven

I actually don´t know what that phrase means, but I wanted to use something with the word "smell" in it, and "smell you later" is way too immature (though it is very hilarious). Anyway, don´t have very much time on this computer, mainly because I don´t have many coins to pay it with right now, but I thought I´d tell you a little about my day today.
Actually, let me start with my night. I ate a large dinner (which I think I will make a weekly event because I don´t want to waste away on nuts, fruit and chocolate) that included a large carafe of wine (score!) and then went to write my post, and then to bed at about 5:00 pm. I awoke to a very bright flashlight that one elderly gent was using to get into his bed at about 9:30 pm. Due to the 6 or 7 snorers (I think congestion, deviated septums, sleep apnea, and swollen adnoids are a bigger health issue than a lot of people want to think about; probably because they are married to someone who snores), it took me a couple of hours to fall back to sleep, but I was reawoken at about 5:45 am by most of my roommates getting ready to leave. I had planned to sleep in a bit, but I figured I might as well be off. Unfortunately for those who did not want to get up, one rather annoying man turned the lights on, justifying his action by saying the hostel rules allow light on at 6:00 am. Let me just tell you about this man, because I find myself so strongly repulsed by him that I can´t help but expect Jesus will want me to befriend him somehow before these six weeks are up.
His voice, which appears to be incapable of whispering (another annoying trait this morning), is simultaneously loud, high-pitched, and raspy. He seems to have an aversion to pants, or perhaps clothes in general, because in the room he continually wore a speedo only, which is gross to me even on young, fit men. And, most offensive to me, he did not seem to care about the poor people who were trying to sleep a little bit longer this morning. Oh, and he´s in my room again tonight in Estella.
Anyway, I left Puente de la Reina at about 6:30 this morning and travelled past several recently fertilized wheat fields. I bought a baguette to snack on at a shop in Ciraqui and then pressed on towards Estella. I really want to find some nuts and raisins so I can stop eating out, but so far I have only been able to find peanuts and chocolate. Now, however, thanks to my dicitonary, I can ask for uvas secas next time I look in a supermarket.
I´ve met a couple of English-speakers to talk to. I´m sleeping above an American from Omaha, Nebraska, with whom I had a good conversation while we did our laundry together. I also had a really interesting conversation with an Irish lass (I really hope she´s been wearing sunscreen) who just graduated from college. I won´t write her name for her privacy´s sake, but she studied English there and she´s from Dublin (the Catholic side, for those who don´t know). I asked her what brought her to the Camino, and she told me that she wanted to unwind after a stressful final semester at college. Her sister had walked it before, so she thought it would be fun to do. Apparently her family is "quite religious," so they´re "thrilled" that she´s here. From the sound of it, she is also using this time to figure out her own personal faith while she´s here, so please pray with me that Jesus will touch her during this time and that I will have the discernment and courage to take hwatever part in that that He wants me to. She already knows I´m Anglican because I told her all about why I´m here and how God has used the Camino in my own life. Let us all pray she finds a similar effect on hers!
There´s a pharmacy down the road I´m going to visit to try and find some finger- and toe-nail clippers, because I left mine in the States and my thumb nail got torn a bit so that it catches on just about everything. Wish me luck!
Also, I just wanted to let you all know that despite the frequency of posts this blog has seen so far, I probably will not be posting this much in the future because I want to stay in some smaller villages that will not have internet. but I also want to visit the larger villages and test them out too, so keep reading!

2 comments:

  1. Enjoying following the blog from my desk overlooking the St Johns in downtown Jax. Wish Gayle and I were there with you (except for the whole hostel thing ... but I digress). Peace + safety out there on the trail brother. Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm following along with you on the blog. Safe travels.

    ReplyDelete