Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Heathrow International

So far, so good. After a fun visit in D.C. with the parents, siblings, nephew, and girlfriend, I checked in at Dulles and the fun began. While I checked my bag in, the ticket agent asked how long I would be in Spain, since any stay over three months requires a visa. I replied confidently that I would not be there that long. She then asked if I had my information for my return to the states, because apparently Spain has gotten very strict about people staying in their country. I told her nervously that I had an email copy if I could only get to a computer. She was a bit wishy-washy in her answer, but concluded that that ought to be good enough.
After I went through security, I asked the very kind woman at the information desk if there was any way for me to print an email. She spent a good while trying to help me, but in the end we came up with nothing. The British Airways lounge had no printers, and the airline lounge that had two printers conspicuously in sight turned me away. As I headed to the gate and kept Matthew 5:5 in mind so as not to make a scene, I tried to forget about it for the flight.
The flight was good, though these overseas flights are somewhat creepy in how rigidly they control when their passengers eat and sleep. I felt like a character from 1984 with my body being manipulated according to the schedules of the friendly British Airways attendants. The food was good, though, with a dinner of lasagna, a roll, a weird spicy corn salad, and 'Eli's Cheesecake.' I couldn't help but wonder if cheesecake is anywhere to be found in 1 Samuel, but I was too tired to look it up.
As you may have guessed by the fact that I am writing right now, I found a place to use the internet and print my information. Let's pray it's enough for the Spanish customs officers. It costs £1 for ten minutes of internet, and each page to print also costs £1. I had to print it twice because the print ate my first attempt shortly after spitting it out. The next time it put up a fuss but I wrestled the page out while a few other travelers watched in what I can only guess was a detached bemusement. Also found a multifaith chapel in the terminal where I could read the daily office, though I can't be sure how much I will retain due to the drowsiness that sets in every time I sit down.
2:30 left on the counter, so let me close this post. I am confident now that God will get me safely from Barcelona to Pamplona, and I am excited to have a clear path once I get there since so far my journey has been rather tortuous. We shall see what the remaining flight brings!

Your brother in Chist,
Hunter

1 comment:

  1. Peter and I just read your post! Peter is saying, "Uncle Hunter flew Barcelona." "Uncle Hunter plane to Spain." Also, Baby Bear kissed your picture. We continue to pray for your journey, and hope that this is the last travel hiccup that happens. We love you!

    ReplyDelete